Monday, August 20, 2007

los andes y mas!

I made contact with Ames, Iowa this past week and I was told that school was going to start Monday for all in Ames…I then realized wow it’s the end of the summer. I feel like I just left Ames yesterday but I have been here for about four months. Time goes by fast eh? I can’t imagine how fast the next five years are going to go by, since the last five years went by in the blink of an eye, Jimi Hendrix was clever fella for saying that.


Anyways, I started school last week and ever since I have been overwhelmed with it all. I have found that teaching is actually a lot more time consuming that expected but it is something I look forward to in the mornings. My classes are good, both political lectures and I lucked out that both of my professors speak english! Plus for one of my classes, my professor assigned most of the reading assignments in english. Oh heck yeah! I also take french classes at night and it’s kicking my butt! I find myself incredibly grateful for having been brought up with two languages, because I never had to really learn them from the beginning, it was just normal for me to speak english and spanish. Now I’m learning a language from scratch! Well, I did take french classes when I was a youngin but I don’t think that counts. It’s funny all my french notes are in spanish and english…pretty much which ever comes to mind first and is easier to remember. It makes me laugh, because I will think in spanish and out of nowhere I will respond or react in english.


La Universidad de Los Andes’ campus is beautiful. I mean it sucks that my building is pretty much at the top of the mountain that the campus sits on. I have to climb so many stairs to get to class that I have formed a strong dislike to stairs of any kind, haha. I guess it’s a work out though. It’s a pretty upscale school, so the students who go seem to think about one thing, money. Well, that’s the jist that I have gotten so far from everyone, but who knows I bet everyone will warm up eh? It’s funny because I feel like the new kid for the first time since…well the younger years. I don’t know a whole lot of people on my campus yet but I don’t feel at all lonely, I actually am fairly happy with the circumstances. And no one really smiles as they walk by so I think I might be considered be weird because I smile at everyone I walk by. Everyone has a grunge/hippie style going, it’s cool to see the individuals stick out…although are they really individuals if they all look the same? Another thing I have realized is that A LOT and I mean that just about everyone smokes. I mean I can’t walk to campus or to class without standing next to a smoker. It has become a pet peeve of mine…well not really, I don’t care who smokes, it’s not my problem right? But I just feel they could respect the direction they blow their smoke! boooo them a bit. I love the university although it takes me an hour to get to there and an hour to get home…yeah that does suck a bit but I don’t really mind. I think I’m adapting to the city life, I love being in the down town of Bogota.


I hear ames is super hot and aw man I can’t believe I’m missing out. I love it when it’s super hot. And although I’m far south, I’m in Bogota where the weather is always a bit mild due to the altitude.I’m actually adjusting it though, it doesn’t feel too cold anymore! Although it’s strange, the way it randomly rains and such…I might as well be in Scotland eh? J For example, today…it wasn’t raining, it was misting…and then it began to mist heavily. Which you would think is rain but it really just was heavy mist. It was so weird!


Yesterday, I was walking to lunch and I passed this old lady in her 80s sitting on a park bench smoking a fat cigar! Seriously, I wish I would’ve brought my camera, it was such a priceless sight. She was just sitting on the bench puffing away, it made me smile a lot.


I was walking along one of the many plazas looking at things to possibly buy and I ran into a fortune teller…I’ve always been terrified of going to anything like that because who knows what they will tell you, eh? But this day I was like whats there to lose, I’ll get my palm read. I sat down with this guy and I was floored by the things he told me. He knew everything about me, things about me as a person, how I felt or have felt…so either he was a really good guesser or is good. It scared me a bit to think that he could know so much about me. He told somethings about the future too that was pretty cool. He said I would fall in love with guy that’s not in Colombia, so I guess I’ll wait and see who I meet along my travels. Yowser!


I’m adjusting well to the life here. I miss Ames and a lot of things from Ames but it feels right to be here. I enjoy making calls to all the people back in Ames randomly, it’s fun. Especially when they don’t answer once they see a crazy or unknown number show up on their incoming calls and don’t answer…but don’t worry I always call back!


come visit!

No comments: