Monday, May 14, 2007

Friday, May 11, 2007

Current mood: cheerful

I was up at 630 this morning to start off my day. My dad had a meeting at a university called Nacional, he wanted me to tag along so I could see it and then we'd check out another one afterwards...Check out my opinion on my school options and give me some feedback, if you know me well enough you know what I want:)

Nacional- is a very very liberal school. There happens to be a lot of strikes there lead on by the students toward the goverment and the problems in Colombia. During these strikes, the students are actually allowed to spray paint their words and thoughts on the concrete and on the buildings. Which sounds a bit trashy but it was a sight! I loved reading the words that these students felt, or still feel. Of course anything inapporpriate is covered up. Some of the things written were: "Luchamos para una nueva Colombia" or "Unidad" or "Fuera Uribe." And there was actually a building with a big portait of Che Guevara, this building was actually called the Che Building. The school has a good reputation for being it's education, so it would be a good choice for me. I loved the atomosphere there.

Los Andes-We visited La Universidad de Los Andes on Tuesday. And it's love at first sight. One, there's all these steep stairs leading up to the different departments because it's up in the mountains (hence the name). Every staff member we talked to was absolutely wonderful. They were helpful and super eager to have me there. Plus I could do a double major in 10 semesters for the price of one, plus I would be able to learn french, bonjour! And it's considered one of the best schools in the country. oh la la

Rosario-We also visited today. It's set right in the heart, and busiest part of Bogotà. I loved that. You walk out the door of the school, and walk right into a plaza in which people set up these stands to sell books, jewelry, shirts, bags, scarfs, it's glorious! It's surrounded by shops, restaurants and so many people! I think I feel like I belong in a busy moving city. I could also do a double major here, but they don't offer any languages except for english, and I think I got that one down.

ANYWAYS

Continuing with the day. The sun was out and it was a gorgeous day! I love love the sun. My dad took me to a couple places that he loves...

There's a strip of stores that have a tons and tons of fabric to choose from, and they have designs of shirts to choose from or you can design your own style, and they will make it for you in 2 weeks! Any shirt you want, it's really cool. I got a yellow shirt coming:)

We rode on the public transportation called the Tranmilenio. I like to compare it to the EL in chicago except it's on wheels. But the cool thing is, considering the horrible driving and traffic here, these buses actually have their own lane! So they don't deal with any of the traffic and such. It gets packed, and I mean packed, at rush hours. This morning it was packed, and all the sudden I heard a lady yell out to the guy next to her...apparently she caught him trying to get into her purse. She handled pretty well, she was a bad ass, he got off and she followed him to get the police that are stationed at the entry way...I don't know how that turned out but pickpocketers are pretty common. So I don't think it was a surprise to everyone else on the bus, but her reaction definately made the guy look like an ass.

For lunch, I had the best juice ever. I love juice here, it's all natural and of every fruit you can imagine. I had fresh, natural grape juice. yum!

Today, I had a blast maybe it was the sun or maybe it was the crazy busy side of the city I got to see. I loved it. I felt comfortable and ready to be here. I miss things, people and the old life but I know this is life. I gots to move on and take a step forward. Today made me anxious to see everything else here.

And I forgot my camera today, way to go eh? Sorry guys, I suck at taking pictures!

Next Saturday, I get to go to Cali! :) I'm way pumped! I get to see the rest of my family and go to Palmira (where I was born), and Trujillo (where my mom was born and raised ). Trujillo is the smallest town you can ever think of, yes smaller than Ames:), two of my uncles own farms up in the low mountains, and looking down you can see the whole town with the beautiful white church in the middle. I love being there. I get to go for a whole month! Yes, I'll be there for my brithday too, I'll be old balls like the rest of my friends ha! I'll bring my camera.

I'm still keeping on. I love you and miss you. I miss Templeton Rye with a passion, and I would die for a Great Plains Pizza with candian bacon right now.

Have some whiskey and pizza for me! Cheers!

No comments: